1.05.2010

This Year I'll...

Every new year comes with new {or re-newed} convictions and resolutions on how to make this year better than the last. To be honest, I've never been a "New Year's Resolution" kind of girl, but I'm feeling differently this year! The last decade {Feels strange to be old enough to be cognizant of this statement..} has been busy: starting and finishing both high school and college, getting my first job, moving to a new city, fighting unemployment for 4 months, and holding down two jobs to pay the bills. Busy, or difficult? Both. I'd say 2009 was my watershed year, the moment I truly realized what it meant to be an adult, living on your own, and making your way in the world. It's really easy to get bogged down by the work grind and money problems, so that's where 2010 comes in: convictions and resolutions!

1. Take control of my life.
Yes, I'm a Type A personality, but this resolution isn't about controlling everything in my life, just the things I'm unhappy about! I hate that I've become that person who feels sad for myself about things that I don't like in my life, yet doesn't make a true effort to change. Whether it's exercising, crafting, blogging, or reading, this is the year where I take control and become an active participant in living my life instead of standing by and feeling helpless!

2. Get a full time job, with benefits!
I tell you what: making a living on an hourly {or two} position is hard!! I feel like I really understand how hard it is for some people now, and I can sympathize. I've always been a bleeding heart type, but when you realize you're one missed payment away from becoming homeless, you can't help but understand that you had no idea what some people go through. I gave myself some breathing room to be happy about just having a job and to let the job market bounce back, but now I'm ready to get back in the job-hunting game and I'm going for the kill!
3. Be conscious of what I'm grateful for each day.
Do you remember my horrible attempt at this resolution a few months ago? Probably not because I was so bad at it!! Well I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to document it, but it's a resolution, so I'll have to stick to it! Trying to blog it everyday was a bit taxing, so I may just take pictures and write it down each day and do a wrap up each week of my top 3 or 4 things. Really and truly be prepared to see more this time!

4... Ok, so I think those three are plenty!
#1 is a pretty hefty and all-encompassing resolution for which I have a more detailed, personal list, but I don't think you want to see all of that. Considering I've never done this before, I'm satisfied with 3 solid resolutions!

So there you have it: My 2010 New Year Resolutions. Is it just me or do people seem to be buzzing with hopefulness for 2010, more so than most years? Perhaps it's because 2009 was so difficult for so many people, but whatever the reason, it does feel like change is in the air.

Do you feel it? What are your resolutions? The sky's the limit, so dream big!


{images via WeHeartIt}

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Good luck with your new years resolutions! The past few years anything I designate as a new years resolution is set to fail, so this year I am not saying a word! xox

Dallas Shaw said...

I could use that note/ shower thing

dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com